Monday, September 2, 2013

COMING SOON TO BLU...THE HORROR SHOW aka HOUSE III

Shout! Factory is releasing the Sean S Cunningham (Friday The 13th) produced The Horror Show, starring Lance Henriksen and Brion James. The two disc box set comes out on Blu Ray November 12,
2013. No word yet on what the extras will be, I'm hoping for an indepth behind the scenes documentary and new interviews with the cast
Directed by James Isaac after David Blythe was fired, the film was released in Europe as House 3, which is why there's a House 4, but no actual House 3.
According to Wikipedia, The Horror Show was released theatrically in April '89 (months before Wes Craven's Shocker which was virtually the same movie) but not released on home video until '99. I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate, there must have been a VHS release pre-'94 because I rented it while still living in my home town, which I moved from in '95.
Brion James plays Meat Cleaver Max Jenke, a very prolific serial killer. Lance Henriksen is the detective who finally brings him down. Jenke gets the electric chair, but he's been dabbling in some dark stuff and is soon back from the dead, looking for revenge.
I'm looking forward to this release. Horror Show was a tense and gory flick with typically great performances from Henriksen (Aliens, Pumpkinhead) and James (Blade Runner, Enemy Mine). Critically it was dead in the water and I've read tons of complaints about the film.  I preferred Horror Show to Shocker, simply because I thought Shocker fell apart in the last act, but it'll be interesting to rewatch it after all these years and see if it still holds up.

The trailer is not in English, but I couldn't find one that was.


No comments:

Post a Comment